Thursday, March 8, 2012

Today was a good day

I have so much to write down and remember from this weird time period in our lives but I have so little time in which to do that. Between work and kids and Glenn and Trigger, there's not much time for anything else. So this will be a short update but I know I'll be back to blogging with pictures someday soon. Anyway, back to the point of this post. Glenn is still recovering but he's making a little bit of progress every day. Since coming home from the hospital last Thursday, he's been pretty tired but diligent about walking and trying to regain some of the strength he's lost.

He started to have a lot of pain a few days ago and we both worried that perhaps the infection was coming back. He didn't have any of the other indicators like fever or redness but the pain was pretty difficult to control. Glenn saw the orthopedic surgeon today and the good news is that the pain is normal. It's a result of inflamed tendons in his hand and with some different pain medication and a few exercises to try, it should resolve itself soon. He also had the wound vacuum taken off today, which we were all pretty excited about. Me - because it's yucky. Glenn because, psychologically and physically, he doesn't feel as 'sick' by not being tethered to that thing. The only drawback is that I am now in charge of checking the wound and reapplying the dressing when necessary. I think I'm going to rely on my handy-dandy brother-in-law who's comfortable handling all sorts of animal parts to help me with that one.

Glenn is still receiving the IV antibiotics and will probably continue that for at least another week or more. The doctor also wants him to eat as much as he can and gain some of the weight back and he's instructed Glenn to stop worrying about eating healthy and just eat whatever I put down in front of him. I'm excited to take on that challenge. It would make my job a lot easier if Glenn liked chocolate but I'll see what I can do. It's going to take a while for Glenn to get back to 100% but I feel like we are finally starting to see that light at the end of the tunnel.

There's been a lot going on with the kiddos and my goal is to get some of that written down this weekend. Reina's been a hoot. She's suddenly come up with all sorts of weird pronouncements and opinions. Me: "Have a good nap, sweetie!" Reina: "I'm not fweetie, I'm Reina!" Will is equally entertaining but came down with a double ear infection and general guckiness yesterday. He and Glenn have been negotiating over the remote and who gets their medicine first. He's counting down the days until the 0-5 next weekend.

So we're still chugging along, trying to get people healthy and keeping the chaos down to a manageable level. More soon.

No comments: