Friday, February 10, 2012

A letter for the birthday girl

Dear Reina: Today, you are three! Unlike last year, you really seemed to understand the whole birthday thing right away. All week you've been telling everyone that your birthday is on Friday. This morning you bounded down the stairs to open your presents and you gleefully ripped off the paper while shouting, "I wonder what it is?"

I said this in last year's letter, but you changed so much this year! You express yourself so clearly these days and you come up with the funniest observations. While helping me decorate your cupcakes last night, you turned to me and said, "This is my dream come true!" (Yes, you are definitely my daughter. My dreams usually involve a lot of chocolate frosting, too.)

Reina, you've shed almost all of the last bits of babyhood this year. Warning: Embarrassing Details Ahead. You are potty trained and you finally gave up the pacifier (more on that in a future post.) You sleep in the a big-girl bed and you've just started dressing yourself in the last few weeks. You have very specific tastes in fashion too, by the way. That definitely comes from your Aunt Vicky.

You are a busy kid. You rarely just sit still - unless you are watching your favorite tv show, "Dora the Explorer." You talk to the tv when Dora tells you to and you seem to have an uncanny ability to learn words to all of the songs -even when you aren't sure what those words are. Your favorite toy is probably your doll Jenny but you have a full stable of horses now and one can usually be found close by to whatever you are doing. Daddy gave you a little dollhouse (for rabbits) for your birthday and I heard you last night admonishing the rabbits to talk nice to each other or they were going to go to their room. I wonder where you heard that one....

Reina, you are a sweet little sister. You love to play with your Bobo, most of the time, and he's the first person you want to tell when something funny happens. He can make you laugh like nobody else can. You both can push each other's buttons pretty quickly but at the end of the day, you are good friends.

You make your dad and I laugh, and not always because you mean to. A few weeks ago you were mad about something - I think it was because Will had the stomach flu and couldn't eat dinner and you still had to. I could hear you at the dinner table muttering "I don't need a mommy, I don't need a daddy, I don't need a brother, I don't need a dog...." I'm not sure what Trigger did to bring on your wrath but I guess it shows that you are at least equal opportunity when it comes to fury. This week, I was gone overnight and Dad was home with you. He told me the next morning that he was so proud that you had eaten all of your vegetables for dinner --- until he went to put lunch in your lunchbox and found that you had placed every single slice of cucumber and pepper in there from the night before, zipped it up and called it good. Have I mentioned that your smarts scare me a little?

So to sum up, you are now officially three. You are sweet and funny and very, very smart. You love horses, Dora, Belle and coloring. You dislike the car wash and anything else you deem scary (a list that changes from day to day but currently includes spiders and Cars 2.) You are a force to be reckoned with and we can't wait to see what the next year brings. Happy birthday Reinagirl!

No comments: