Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Are you seeing a pattern here?

The following is an actual transcript of our conversation on the way home from school today. (Well as actual as I can get by remembering what happened about 15 minutes before I sat down to write this.) I had been thinking all day that I wanted to ask the kids some questions and record their answers for the blog. So here we go.
Me: What’s your favorite color?
Will: Blue.
Reina: Yedow (yellow)
Me: What’s your favorite movie?
Will: A movie with Legos in it.
Me: Do we have any of those movies?
Will: No.
Me: Well, what’s your favorite movie of the one’s that we have?
Will: I don’t know. One with Legos in it.
Me: What about the movies we already have, don't you have a favorite?
Will: Silence.
Me: Okay. Reina, what’s your favorite?
Reina: Meemo. (Nemo)

Me: What’s your favorite food?
Will: Candy
Reina: I want to watch a movie tonight.
Me: It’s not movie night Reina. Will, what’s your favorite kind of candy?
Will: Chocolate.
Me: Reina, what’s your favorite food?
Reina: Harumph.
Me: Are you mad that it’s not movie night?
Reina: Harumph.
Me: Will, what’s your favorite food that’s not candy?
Will: Meat.
Me: Reina?
Reina: (Silent treatment)

Me: Okay, moving on. Will, what’s your favorite clothing?
Will: My Lego shirt.
Reina: My princess dress.

Me: What's your favorite book?
Will: The one with the Lego's in it.
Reina: My princess book.
Me: Really? What about "Noisy Nora" or "Llama, llama, mad at mama"?
Reina: I like princess book.

Me: What’s your favorite drink?
Will: Blue juice (some horrible ‘bug juice’ concoction that I bought once at the gas station and made a huuuuuuge impression apparently.)
Reina: Apple juice
Reina: I want to watch a movie.

***************************
Saturday was our last flag football game of the season. We woke up to cold, wet weather and I called the coach to tell her that we wouldn't be there because had a cold and Glenn had left for hunting and I didn't want Reina to be out in the weather, blah, blah and blah. The coach said she understood but wanted me to know that they'd be handing out the end-of-the-season medals. I told her we'd be there shortly. I knew Will would want his medal and I wanted him to see that you can be rewarded for sticking with something and trying hard. So off we went. Will's the frozen one in the blue hooded jacket with white and black stripe on the sleeve. It was pretty darn cold. And wet. And miserable. After about ten minutes, the coaches called the game. There were more kids crying on the field than were not crying. I think that's a pretty good measure of whether or not a game should be cancelled. So flag football is over with for another year. Besides getting some exercise and working on hand/eye coordination, the best thing that has come out of the season is that Will wants to watch football with me now. Yeah!!! I have someone to teach all about the game. How to yell at the tv, stomp around the house when the game goes poorly and the importance of never, ever listening to the tv announcers, and instead turn the radio on and mute the tv so that the action never quite sync's up and anyone else watching with you gets frustrated and finds something else to do. A family tradition will live on!!

After the snowy football morning, the kids and I headed to Brighton for the weekend for a sleepover at Pop-pop's house. I ran the Denver half marathon on Sunday and Grandma graciously babysat so that Pop-pop and I could go to the Broncos game that afternoon. It was an action-packed weekend but we all had a lot of fun.

The stairs in Pop-pop's and Grandma's house are a magical place. Every kid who comes over gravitates towards these stairs and our two are no different. Whether they are jumping off, wiggling down or having a tea party, the stairs are the place to be. I tried about 10 different shots to get a good picture of Will and Reina on the stairs and this was the best I could do. Wayyyyy too much going to sit still for a picture, Mom!


*******************

The weekend before last, we piled everyone in the car on Sunday to visit the farm that we receive our weekly share of vegetables from during the summer. Reina was still recovering from the stomach flu but the weather was too good to miss and so we headed out.

We chowed on some hot dogs.... Growled (??) at some farm animals..... And picked lots and lots of pumpkins.... (hey look, The Beard is back!)
Picking pumpkins is great and all, but nothing beats a really good slushie.


Riding in a wagon is HILARIOUS! Especially with freaky blue lips.



********************



Join us next time for a hard-hitting look at Trigger's favorite things. Hint, it's birds. And Glenn.

No comments: