Wednesday, September 14, 2011

When I was three.....

Based on the way he talks about it, you would think that 3 was Will's best year ever. Every time he brings up something we haven't done lately, he bemoans the fact that he hasn't been there/done that since he was "free."

"Can we go to the zoo the day after this day? I haven't been there since a I was free." (Point of correction, you were actually there earlier in the summer but I won't be nit-picky.)

"Mom, 'member when I had to go to the hospital when I was free?" (Yes. Yes I do remember that. And so does my wallet.)

"When are we going to go back to Florida? I haven't been there since I was free."

I find it fascinating to see how his memory works. Some things I think he won't remember but then some far away memory will bubble to the surface and he'll talk about an event that took place over a year ago. He's an interesting little guy.

When he's not thinking of halcyon days of 3, his brain is busy figuring out the world. His first words to me this morning were "Mom, do birds go to the doctor?"



***********************


Will's is not the only brain working overtime right now. I need to get a picture of it, but we are currently experiencing "Hoarders: The Toddler Edition. The Sequel." At any given moment, Reina is carrying around a purse, her "yunchbox" (a plush covered wagon that certainly does look like a lunch box), a falling-apart plastic backpack stuffed with assorted detritus, two baby dolls and a stuffed animal (a revolving selection of teddy bears, kitty cats and a bunny rabbit.) At night, she can't fall asleep until she is surrounded by her "duff." (stuff) I need to start hiding some of the duff because a few nights ago she was walking around the backyard and tumbled down the stairs, with all of her stuff. Toddler forehead meets sidewalk.

In her own words, she should 'dop it! ' (stop it)

No comments: