Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Kid randomness

Reina has been a handful lately. The last few weeks, the last few months, since January, who really knows. She's all of 2 1/2. I might have written about this before, but she seems very different than Will was at this age. When he was 2 1/2, we had a six-month old rolling around the house so I don't know if I just didn't pay as much attention to his Terrible Two's or if Reina is just playing a whole new ballgame. One of my co-workers has a boy and a girl herself and she used to run a daycare. I was complaining/fretting about Reina's behavior last week and my co-worker told me in her experience, boys were explosive and girls were moody. Man, has that ever been true for us. Will used to (and still does on very rare occasion) throw gigantic tantrums but after after 15 minutes or so, the storm would pass and he'd be back to sitting on my lap happily chattering away. Reina gets mad about something and stays that way all day. And she doesn't tell you why she's mad. She just stomps around with her arms crossed and doesn't make eye contact. I feel like I'm back in junior high. As far as we can tell, she saves up this behavior for home because the daycare teachers think she's all peaches and cream. Who can resist this face?

We had a little reprieve from all the grumpy/moodiness this weekend. Reina came down with a cold that she quickly shared with the rest of the family. So generous! She has been more mellow and snuggly and while I'm sorry she's not feeling well, it was been nice to have a happy(er) girl around the house.


We had a very nice holiday weekend, despite the family virus. We did errands around town, cleaned up the yard, puttered around the house. Aunt Vicky and I canned 1000 pounds of green beans. Okay, so it wasn't quite 1000 pounds but it sure felt like it. Glenn and I had a date night with some good friends. We made it to church relatively on time. I jogged a lot. The weather turned cooler (yeah!!). We had lunch with more good friends. Will watched a few bits and pieces of the Star Wars movies. I still think the movies are too scary for 4-yr olds but with the commercial interruption, you can sort of glaze over the fact that Luke Skywalker just had his hand chopped off by someone who may or may not be his father. Anyone want to take a crack at explaining that one?


It was a nice three-day weekend.


***********


Overheard while the kids were playing...


Will: "Hey Reina, want to play that game where we fight with the pillows?"

***********



Will: "Reina, you be the mommy and I'll be the boy. Come on Mommy, let's get on the boat."


Reina: "I'M NOT READY YET!"



***********


Reina: "Mommy, you are my best friend."


Awwww! Okay, okay full disclosure on this story. She had just slammed her fingers in the kitchen drawer and tearfully announced that the kitchen was not her best friend. So I guess, by default, I was chosen to be her best friend. Because I don't pinch her fingers. She has very high standards for her best friends. I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

No comments: