Sunday, May 8, 2011

The sun came out!

We finally had some sunny weather this weekend and boy did this family get out and enjoy it. No turkey hunting this weekend so Glenn was home and we checked off a big list of chores. We did some yard work, bought everybody new shoes and just soaked up the vitamin D. The yard was really starting to look shabby so Reina and I weeded while Glenn and Will ran some man-errands. I kept a close eye on Reina for a while because she has this pesky little habit of de-foliating every blooming plant in the yard. I think I'll call her Agent Orange. Alas, I turned my back for a few minutes and the red and yellow tulips that bloomed last week are now pretty green stems. 2-yr old's.

I hadn't taken many new pictures in a few weeks so I made an effort last week to capture some candid moments. Reina loves to help cook. "I hep you!" rings through the kitchen if she overhears us mentioning making dinner, breakfast, anything that involves the mixer and measuring cups. She helped Glenn make stir-fry and cautioned us several times that it was "HOT!" We pug-sat last week while Vicky enjoyed a Spring vacation. Trigger loved the pug. The pug tolerated Trigger. Will loves when the pug visits because Bailey will often sleep on Will's bed. Reina just likes to snuggle anything that will sit still long enough. On Thursday, the kids' preschool hosted a Mother's Day Tea first thing in the morning. When I mentioned to Will that I was going to take him to school that day and stay for a party, he got excited and told me that he had a surprise for me. This shows his maturity because last month, he told Glenn that we had a present for his birthday but that mom wouldn't let him play with the new gun yet.... Anyway, I visited both classes and drank punch at 8:30 a.m. and was showered with these lovely gifts. Will's asked me every morning since then if I'm going to wear my bracelet. He actually picked out colors (or lack thereof) that I wear everyday.... Look! Reina's first set of fingerprints! I feel like her mug shot should be stapled to the corner. It is cute though. It's laminated so I can look back in 10 years when she'll surely have the Hansen man-hands, and remember how dainty her pawprint once was. Who's this big kid living in my house? Will willingly wore his shirt tucked in to church today and he looked so grown-up that it brought tears to my eyes. He's rapidly losing the little boy look and he's no longer satisfied with simple answers to his complicated questions. Riding in the car with him feels like a protracted quiz show episode except sometimes your answers lead you down paths that you are not sure about answering yet (Mom, who built us? Well, God built us. But how? ummmm... you start off as a baby in mom's tummy and then hey look is that a dog over there?) I know, I'm a chicken. Yesterday, we drove to the park to meet some friends for a picnic. Side note: 50,000 other Cheyenne residents seemed to have that plan, too. Anyway, on the way there, we passed a statute of soldier and Will wanted to know who he was, why he was carrying a sword, was he a bad guy, when did he die, what's a statue, how come we have statues and could there be a statue of us someday? Exhausting but also really, really fun.

Hey look! It's Trigger laying down again. I usually can't get a picture of him because he goes around the house at 2000 mph. It was warm and he had a couple of long walks today so he was nice and tired. Yeah!






One last note to record for posterity. Will and Glenn were racing around the living room yesterday morning playing some sort of version of bad guy battle/soldier/fight scene thing and Will shouted "We are going to light this place up!" Yeah, we're really not sure where that came from. I can't think of a Disney/Pixar movie with that line and we keep a close eye on the other things he might watch so this is a new one. If he starts spouting lines like "say hello to my leetle friend," someone is going to have some serious explaining to do.

No comments: