Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A preview of Halloween

I know it's blurry and I know it's only September 14, but have you ever seen a cuter cowboy? And how perfect will this picture be for his graduation party? Mommmmmm! The kids and I trekked to Target yesterday after work. I had seen a costume for Reina over the weekend and I thought it was perfect at the time but I figured I would wait a few weeks. After thinking about, I had a case of shopper's panic and I was worried that it would sell out so we headed back. Since I had both kids with me, I told Will that he could pick out his costume, too.

Indulge me in a brief tangent - as a kid, I NEVER had a store-made costume. My mom, in all her art-teacher creativity, spent countless hours putting our costumes together. My sister was once a can of Pepsi. I was Nefertiti (going through a Egyptology phase) one year and Merlin the next. For Merlin, my mom covered her own blue velour bathrobe with hundreds of those little metallic stars. Seriously, how long did that take? She also continued to wear that robe for years, even though it was covered with little white dots as the stickers fell off in the wash and left behind their glue. That's true dedication to your craft, people.

SO, back to my story. I swore that I wouldn't do store bought costumes (like the one above -that's just one piece of polyester with everything pre-printed and probably manufactured by 10-yr olds) but when your 3-yr-old's eyes light up as he spots the one Woody costume in his size, after carefully studying Spider-man, Buzz and some weird robot thing, well, what you can you do? You buy it and hope that it doesn't wear out, rip, get lost, or be boring by the time October 31 rolls around.

Oh, Reina's costume? Yeah, you're going to have to wait a little longer for that one. Trust me, it will be worth it.

No comments: