Tuesday, August 28, 2018

First Day of School and also some stuff that the parents did this past weekend

Well, we made it to the First Day of School.  Both kids popped out of bed bright and early.  Outfits had already been decided on the night before.  Backpacks were mostly packed and while there was some slight indecision, concerning footwear, everyone was dressed and ready to go about 45 minute before we normally leave the house. I don't expect that to happen again for the rest of the year.  

Obligatory 'stand in front of the flowers on the front porch' picture.  
What's a first day picture without Coco?  Will briefly thought about grabbing Tootsie and Trigger for the photo but then figured that would get out of control quickly.  
 Will seems excited about his teacher and 6th grade class.  He reminded me several times this morning that it was his first last day of elementary.  (Muffled sob.)  I did not need to be reminded. I've also already made plans to take next year's first day of junior high off (preemptive muffled sob.)  He has several friends from last year in his class and flag football practice starts tomorrow already.  Bring on 6th grade! 

Reina has the same fourth grade teacher that Will had and she also has several good friends in her class this year.  She had a little attack of the nerves this morning but was slightly mollified when I told her how I threw up on the first day of school a few times and a little anxiousness was perfectly normal.  Or runs in the family at least.  She was full of stories tonight and enthusiastically attacked her homework so she's off to a good start, too.

On an unrelated note, but before I forget to post these pictures - Glenn and I ran a trail race this past weekend.  We did this same race last year and had so much fun that we decided to give it another go.  This year, I ran the 4-mile course and the much faster Glenn took on the 8-mile.  We were both happy with our times and didn't break any bones.
Isn't this a great picture of a handsome man?  I didn't take this picture - this is from the official race photographer. I was miles away when this picture was taken and probably breathing so hard I couldn't have stood up straight.  But look at Glenn attacking that hill.  He's a natural.  

And then there's me.  I have a remarkable flair for always looking like I'm standing completely still in races but hey, I'm ahead of that older guy behind me!  


No comments: