Thursday, August 17, 2017

Softball and baseball

Well.  I started this post almost three weeks ago now and still haven't finished it.  This summer! Blogging has been scarce this summer mostly due to softball and baseball and gardening and Reina's drama camp (more on that later!) and a list of fun stuff that's kept me off of the computer.  So these pictures are starting to be a little outdated and I'd better get them blogged before football starts (it started two weeks ago....)  

We loved watching Reina play softball.  I posted about this last month, but she had a great coach and a really nice group of girls and parents.  She learned a lot and it was fun to see her progress throughout the season.  I thought my girl wasn't competitive - in previous sports she was usually happy to run alongside teammates with a smile on her face - but during softball, I started to notice some serious looks in the dugout and dare I say.... frustration when the game wasn't going the way she wanted.  Turns out our Reina-iac really wants to win and if she thinks her team isn't going to win, she'd rather just call the game off.  






Then there was Will's baseball season.  It overlapped with Reina's softball season for a few weeks so we had to divide and conquer and meet up on fields after one game was done but before the one started.  Luckily, the fields were just down the road from each other.

Will had a really fun baseball season.  He had a good coach, good assistant coaches (including Glenn), good friends on the team and I had a great group of moms and grandparents to cheer with.  Will's team ended up fourth in the tournament but they made it a lot farther than was anticipated.

Will developed a lot as a player this year.  He was a solid hitter and had some good plays on defense.  He also pitched!  I was a bundle of nerves when he was on the pitching mound but he showed such strength and tenacity up there.  He never let his nerves get the best of him and he was a joy to watch.  And he struck some kids out!



I don't have any pictures of him on the pitching mound because let's face it... I was usually pacing back and forth behind the bleachers when he was up.  Or I was sitting directly behind home plate and willing the other team to swing at the ball.  No, I wasn't too wrapped up in 5th grade baseball, why do you ask?

The highlights of Will's baseball season where an in-the -park home run, a few three-up, three-down innings as a pitcher, getting a base runner out in a pickle as a first baseman (it was glorious!) and many RBI's.  We really had fun watching him play.  Bring on football season!

No comments: