Sunday, September 25, 2016

Super Broncos Fan

At the beginning of this month, Will and I went to the first Broncos regular season game on a Thursday night.  (Thank you Aunt Vicky and Uncle Matt!)   It was a rematch of Super Bowl 50 and since I had to take Will out of school early so we could get to the game on time,  for this mom it was the last stop of the SB50 victory parade. 

We did some math homework and Will read to me on the car ride down to Denver.  We were a little ahead of the bad traffic so we made it down in record speed and had plenty of time to walk around the stadium and buy souvenir socks.  

The world's worst selfie.  The glare off of my dirty phone screen made it next to impossible to see.  Clearly.  

Will and the Sunday Night Football truck.  in this case the Thursday Night Football truck.  

Getting slightly tired of posing but still a super fan.  

The view from our seats.  It was a gorgeous night.  I packed our sweatshirts but we never even pulled them out.  Not too hot, not too cold.  Just right.  

So let's talk about the game.  The first half was not great.  I can't remember the score but I think the Broncos were down by 10 at half?  My little super fan was not happy.  Lots of grumbling about 'we need a new quarterback,' 'they're killing me...' etc. etc.  We had two bathroom trips in quick succession because he felt like he was going to barf.  He didn't but the Broncos did score when were down on the concourse and I briefly entertained the idea of watching the rest of the game on the tv outside of the men's room but we didn't.  At half time, Will told me that if the Panthers scored again, we should leave.  I was good with that because it was already past 4th grade bedtime and while I can't be my usual screaming Super Fan self when I take a kiddo to the game, I wasn't super excited to watch a blowout.  But then the tides turned and the next thing I new, there were 5 minutes left in the game and the Broncos were leading.  We gutted it out until the end when Carolina kicked a field goal that would've won the game if it hadn't veered off to the left.  Yahhhhh!
His post-game face.  
We had a really fun time.  I think the people in the seats around us were less than thrilled to have a 9-yr sitting there lest he cramp their party style, but by the end of the game he was getting hugs and high fives all around. We had a long, crowded walk back to the car - that's probably the only drawback to staying for the whole game.  Will fell asleep in the car before we made it out of Denver but I stayed awake listening to post-game interviews and highlights.  It was a happy drive until Will suddenly felt the urge to barf again (he didn't).  I blame football nerves and stadium nachos.  It was a great start to the football season and I think it will be a memory that stays with me for a very long time. I hope he'll remember it, too.

No comments: