Thursday, March 17, 2016

March hodgepodge

It's been another busy month at the Pauley household. I probably don't even need to start posts with that sentence anymore, it's just a given and evident by my sporadic posting.

Will caught a bad virus last weekend and spent a few days on the couch watching basketball tournaments.  The night before he got sick, he was complaining about his body hurting and a few warning bells went off in my head but he didn't have a fever the next morning so off to school he went.  The school nurse called me at 1:00 to say that he had a headache and wanted to know if he could have some tylenol.  I said 'no problem.' Forty-five minutes later she called back to tell me that he had a fever of 101 and someone needed to come get him.  That night, I took Will to our local urgent care to make sure he didn't have influenza.  Will fought the influenza test for a good 5 minutes and then the nurse told us that the doctor wanted to run a strep test.  Ten minutes later, she got a successful swab of Will's throat.  Luckily both tests came back negative and Will recovered with popsicles and juice boxes.  Will getting the strep test reminded me of the 5 yr-old Will getting his kindergarten vaccinations and the 4 nurses plus me that were needed to hold him down.  This time we didn't try to hold him down, we just (tried to) reason with him to get the test done.  He argued with me,argued with the nurse, asked for alternative methods for swabbing his throat (I told him he could grow up and become a doctor and invent a new way to test for strep), refused to open his mouth, begged to go back home (that one was tough), cried and finally relented.  In the car ride home, he told me that he'd been "kind of a jerk" to the nurse and he should've apologized.

#################

The whole family is participating in an NCAA bracket challenge and we all have our own brackets. Will has watched enough college basketball in the last few weeks that he has strong opinions about who's going to win and lose.  I'm a sucker for the old favorites.  Glenn knows just enough to be dangerous. This year, I let Reina pick her own teams and I wish I could've recorded the conversation.  We went through each game and sometimes she'd know one of the teams and pick that way.  A few times she asked about the mascots and made her choice that way (Jackrabbits vs. Terrapins?  Jackrabbits all the way.)

Me:  Reina, this team is called the Providence Friars.
R:  What's a friar?
Me:  It's kind of like a pastor.  Someone who works in a church.
R:  Well I like our pastor so I pick Providence.

Then we came to Butler and Reina startled giggling and chose them obviously because they have the word 'but' in their name.  Needless to say, she has them going to the championship and losing to Oregon.  Go Butler!

####################

We have some pre-Spring Break squirrely-ness going on right now and nighttime behavior hasn't been the easiest lately.  Reina handed me a note tonight and explained that she wrote down some of our family rules to help everyone remember:

Are home ruls
be nice no bad
words or
butt talk
and lisen
to mom
and dad
or no fiting.


No comments: