Sunday, June 22, 2014

Tootsie

I traveled to Douglas earlier in the week for work.  As I pulled onto the State Fairgrounds, I realized that it's almost been exactly two years since I drove up there early one morning to meet a little red heeler and her foster family and bring her home.  While Tootsie and Trigger drive me bonkers periodically (is once a day periodically?), she's a great addition to our crazy household and she's a sweet, sweet dog.  She's my enthusiastic jogging partner, in fact the minute she sees me put my jogging shoes on, she whines and paces until her leash is snapped on and we're heading out the door.  Tootsie and Trigger are great companions.  While their combined level of enthusiasm and energy is more than twice what it would be individually, she also keeps him from being completely crazy and he gives her someone else to boss around. 
 
In the winter months, when it's too cold to run outside, she sits on the sofa next to my treadmill and keeps me company.  Her glance is only slightly reproachable.  Like, "toughen up lady, we could jog outside today." 
 
Let's not forgot about Trigger.  It's been about 2 1/2 years since we brought him home and while I'm still not sure he always knows his name, he sure is a patient boy.  Sunglasses?  Sure! 

I dug through my camera to find pictures of the Tootsie and found this collection from one of the days Reina was sick earlier in the year.  The littlest human needs a dog pillow?  No problem. 


When not busy being a pillow, she makes a heck of a blanket, too. 

This is my view several mornings a week.  Jog jog jog jog jog.

She serves as the sentry, letting us know about any loose dogs or cats with bad intentions wandering around the neighborhood. 

Tootsie also keeps an eye out on the prairie behind us.  Her hackles go up when she hears the coyotes, but in this picture she was either watching antelope or more of those naughty cats. 

Last month, when I spent the day with Baby Cousin, Tootsie was my shadow.  She must've been around babies in her early life because she was gentle and so very careful around Baby Cousin, even when Baby Cousin was practicing canine optometry. 

Tootsie followed me from room to room and when I set Baby Cousin on the floor, Tootsie stayed within arm's reach and babysat. 

She's called Tootsie, Toots, Butter (? - from Reina), @#($(#*$@ (from me), Tootsiebootsie, and various chirps and sound effects (from Glenn).  She's not perfect, but we are so grateful that she found her way to us.  Any Wyoming folks who are interested in adopting a heeler/cattle/working dog, make sure you check out HERD of Wyoming (http://www.herdofwy.com/).  We are so glad we did. 

No comments: