Wednesday, July 17, 2013

T-ball and a sleepy girl

It's been a hectic few weeks at the Pauley household.  Do I always start blog posts off with that sentence?  Anyway, we've been busy, blah blah blah.  Glenn and I ran a race this past weekend.  He did great. I survived the 13.1 miles, barely.  It wasn't my slowest race but it was darn close.  The kids have had a few sleepovers with both sets of grandparents and everyone survived that experience. 

We're finishing up the last week of the kids' t-ball season and can you believe that it's the middle of July?  How did that happen? 

Here's Will lining up to knock the ball out of the park - or at least over the infield's head.  On his next up to bat, he actually hit the first pitch and it was awesome!  (The coach pitches three teams to each kid and if they can't hit the pitch, they get to use the tee.  Incidentally, for each of Reina's turns at bat she just tells the coach that she wants to hit it off the tee.  Girl knows what she wants.)
Not bad form although it's looking a little golf-y, which will probably make the Grandpa's excited.

I included another shot of Will batting but I want to direct your attention to the little blonde in the red shirt in the background.  That's the Bronco Baby sister who's paying zero attention to the game (she's on second) and instead is directing all of her attention to the (older) second basemen on the other team.  Sigh. 
I was cleaning off my camera phone and found this picture.  I'm not sure when or why I took it but I love it.  It completely captures Reina right now.  She goes and goes and goes and goes and says "I'm not tired!" and upon waking up in the morning announces "I don't think I'll take a nap today" and fights and fights and fights it, but when she's sleeping, she looks
like this. 

The kids have been a lot of fun, if a little crazy, lately.  Summer is in full swing and we have nightly negotiations/fights/tantrums/battles over bedtime and the (perceived) agony of us pulling them away from all of the seasonal fun that is surely happening outside. At day camp,  Will is swimming like a fish and sporting a tan that would be the envy of many a teenage girl.   And his pasty mom.  I'm also jealous of his schedule.  He swims on Monday, roller skates or bowls on Tuesday, visits a park on Wednesday, sees a movie on Thursday (more on that in a minute) and goes to another park on Friday.  In between are lots of snacks, an art project every once in a while and lots and lots of sunscreen.  Reina goes to the park, has gymnastics on Friday (she does somersaults until she topples over with dizziness), colors 100 pieces of paper a day and lectures me on the rainforest and tree frogs on the car ride home. 

Last week, Will saw the movie "Chimpanzee" at the theater.  Glenn and the kids watched it on a cold Saturday last winter, but I was doing something else that day and I was also worried about anybody watching it because (Spoiler Alert) - the mom chimpanzee dies at the beginning.  In fact the whole plot of the documentary is how the baby chimp is 'adopted' by the alpha male.  In a further tangent, I actually tried to watch it later by myself but couldn't make it to the part where the mom is killed.  And people wonder why I don't hunt?  Anyway, I asked Will about the latest viewing when I picked him up afterwards and he reminded me that he'd already seen it, but that he liked the movie.  He talked about the mom chimpanzee getting killed but that the little baby had a new stepdad at the end.  I love how Will's brain works. 

No comments: