Sunday, January 27, 2013

Big kid

Can anyone tell me where my little chubby toddler went?  The little tank who slept with a hundred stuffed animals and wore a fireman's hat every waking hour?  Anyone seen him lately?  I swear I turned around one day and found this guy.  This handsome, jeans-wearing, long-legged, Broncos-hat-stealing (from me... not like actual shoplifting) kid helped me exercise the dogs today in a big pasture near our house.  He and I hiked around for a half hour and talked a lot of Star Wars, arrowheads and what dogs like to do in their free time. 
 
I asked him to smile for me and got a smile but also a muscle pose.  Naturally.  Five going on six is not without it's challenges, one of them being that if it's not said by his kindergarten teacher, then it's not fact.  (I guess we are at the point where I just become dumber and dumber each year, until Will's like 25 or something.)  But, he can still be sweet and he's a little sponge when it comes to topics that he's interested in. He's helpful around the house and (most of the time) does his chores willingly because he gets a little allowance. 
This big pasture is a little piece of public land a few miles north of us.  It's become a regular part of our weekend for the dogs, if the wind isn't howling or the temperature is below zero.  The dogs can run and run and run and RUN and come home tired and droopy which is awesome for me.  Both T & T have gained a few winter pounds (hey - who hasn't?) so it's nice to get them some good exercise when I'm too chicken to jog in the snow. 

We have some snow headed our way this week so I'm glad we enjoyed the sunny day while it lasted.

No comments: