Saturday, January 8, 2011

How we are starting off the New Year

We started off the week by celebrating my 25th birthday. Okay, fine it was my 29th birthday but who's counting. The whole family went out to dinner and most of us behaved tolerably well. Afterwards, the kids helped me blow out a few candles, an activity that they are very good at. I had a nice birthday and it was a good way to start off 2011.
The rest of the week was pretty routine. Everyone was back to work and back to school and we made it through with few problems. Glenn got to take a quick trip to Tucson for work but he didn't bring us any presents and so that's all the mention that he gets this week.
Today, the kids and I made a trip to Target and I was feeling too flush with cash (ha ha) so I bought a few of the Pixar soundtracks since the kids love their movie music so much. We came home and did some dancing before lunch. Will loves the Spanish version of "You've Got a Friend in Me" from Toy Story 3 so when it came on, he grabbed his sister's hands and started dancing away.
As you can tell, she likes the dancing as much as he does. It makes me think that maybe I'm going down the wrong road with my football and basketball dreams for both of them. Maybe I should be thinking of pairs figure skating (yes, I have seen Blades of Glory), or ballroom dancing. Does Dancing with the Stars have any brother/sister duos? Is ice dancing still popular? Anything that doesn't involve tights? I'm going to have to start doing some research because these two have moves!
After dancing and naps, we spent the rest of the day dressing up as cowboys. Some of us are going for a 'bohemian chic' look here. Seriously, doesn't she look like one of the Olsen twins? She just needs oversized sunglasses and a Birkin bag. (Most of you won't get that reference and that's okay. I'm tired and it's been a long day). In continuing with the cowboy theme, Will takes his cowboy dressing seriously. Poor kid doesn't have cowboy boots and as I snapped this picture he was headed to the hall closet to dig out his snowboots. Apparently, real cowboys simply require footwear with the word 'boot' in it. He's also wearing not one but TWO cowboy vests. The cowhide vest is underneath the green one and he's got a cowboy belt to cinch the whole thing. He's grown lately but this outfit adds about 15 pounds to his physique. Note that he also willingly put his jeans on to make the look as authentic as possible. Normally, we have to negotiate, cajole and threaten to get him to wear those pants on any other day.
For the sake of record-keeping, I need to note that Reina pooped on the floor today. But luckily for you, that's a story for another day.

No comments: